Monday 29 June 2015

St Bazeille to Agen. Monday 29th June 2015.

The The bed at the home of Dave and Lizzy is the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in!  I didn't want to get up. 
But I did and enjoyed a light breakfast provided by Lizzie.  The pair of them are a delight! 
I was rolling just after 9am but just to the patisserie around the corner and the pharmacy.  Lunch bought and more factor 50 bought I was on my way.  Already just with my  vest top as it was so warm. 
I followed Daves directions to get to the Canal de Garonne.  I had to ride down an avenue of large trees.  They almost formed a tunnel. 
I'm led to believe that the trees were planted by Napoleon so the soldiers had shade to march in. 
Then I crossed the river Garonne before reaching the canal. 
It was very pleasant to have dappled shade to ride in.  The canal surface is good quality but in parts the tree roots have lifted the Tarmac. 
Being in the heart of an agricultural area I was flanked either side by fields of corn, wheat or sunflowers. 
The canal has captured my heart as has the country. 
I stopped off at a little rural cottage where a lady was selling cold drinks.  I had a cold coke and topped up my water bottles. 

As I zipped along the canal I was using my best French to greet people.  "Bon Jour" I chirped at every opportunity.  
I did just that to a couple eating breakfast on their boat.  " Good afternoon " came the reply in a South African accent.  It was morning time still.  I stopped and chatted for a while to this lovely couple from Durban. They were doing the canals over a couple of months.  They topped up my water bottle and I sped off, keen to get as far as I could before midday. 

I loved riding the canal, I must admit I thought it may be boring but not a bit! 
It's truly beautiful! 
I pulled off the canal next to the river for a late morning snack. 
It's a huge river with plenty of fish in it and bird life around it. 

It was a great spot to just admire it and take it all in. 
Once back on the canal, I spotted a large church spire up on a hill.  As hot as it was I just had to go up and see it.  So I came off the canal and rode up the hill.  
It was worth it. 


 A quick look around before a lovely descent back to the canal. 
I passed over several Aquaducts which just fascinate me.  
I was running low on water so I stopped at a B&B to refill.  There was a cute sign on the approach to the house. 
The kind gent allowed me to use his outside tap to fill my bottles and as it was so hot, I ran the cool water over my head.  Boy oh boy!  What a relief that was. 
Back on the canal.  Now surrounded by apple orchards.  The scale of farming here is enormous! 

Then I had the pleasure of meeting Jean Claude and his friend.  They too were riding the Canal but had come from Sete heading for Bordeaux.  We chatted for a while, exchanged e mails and went off in opposite directions. 
I kept on slapping on the factor 50 as I could feel the sun burning me.  By about 5pm I arrived in Agen. With temperatures soaring I really didn't want to camp so I found a motel with air conditioning in the room and took full advantage of it. 

The plan for tomorrow is a very early start to beat the heat and to get to Toulouse, just over 100 km away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment