Wednesday 1 July 2015

Agen to Toulouse. Tues. 30 June. 122 km. 39 Celcius

Last night I packed my bags all ready for the morning to make an early start. All because the temperature was set to soar even higher than yesterday. 
I was on the road by 6.20 am.  It was nice and cool and just got light. Within about 10 minutes I was back on the canal.  
I had put lashings of factor 50 on and felt like I'd bathed in the stuff. 
The light is gorgeous at this time of day and makes everything look even more spectacular! 

I now know why the famous artist geezer painted a field of sunflowers.  I didn't get it until now.  They really are a sight to behold.  Though how I'm not blind by now I don't know.  I've had so much salty sweat pouring in my eyes I could start my own salt farm.  

This place name made me smile.  I'd had some grizzles of my own as I felt myself cooking. 
There are plenty of Aquaducts carrying the water over valleys. 
The river Garonne meanders across the countryside and often is right next to the canal. 
In the afternoon a head wind got up which started as a gentle cooling breeze but built up to a wind that made the riding harder. 
As I neared Toulouse the area became built up with industrial estates.  As is the same with any city.  
I had googled a campsite and it wasn't looking good as apparently the area around it had lots of homeless folk hanging around.  That put me off. 
I could see temporary shacks and tarps as homes for people right next to the canal. Then the canal was blocked by some fencing so I detoured through an industrial estate.  It was clearly a rough area and it was after 5pm, the stares from men hanging around on corners made me u comfortable.  Before long I was lost but kept cycling with purpose so as not to look lost.  For once I was grateful for the head wind I had that afternoon as I knew I was going roughly in the right direction so long as I was heading into the wind.  The area got a little less industrial and I found myself in a dodgy looking residential area.  A lad came my way and I asked him the way to the canal.  He pointed to a narrow alley.
I hesitated but made my way down the alley and sure enough the canal was nearby.  Only problem was there were two flight of stairs to get up to the canal. 
My bike fully laden is bloody heavy!  Next to the steps was a low wall I managed to get my bike on this and wheeled it up as I walked up the stairs.  It was a real battle, taking one step at a time with a huge heave ho each step.  By time I got to the top my eyes were shut tight stinging like mad from the sweat running into them. 
After about 20 minutes I was in the city.  I spotted an Ibis hotel and decided that was my stop for the night.  It was still a rough part of the city and out of the blue an unsavoury character was right beside me asking if I needed a hotel.  I said yes and pushed my bike right into the foyer of the Ibis. I was not a pretty sight after a long hot day.  But I was grinning, I'd made it to Toulouse, on one of the hottest days of the year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment