Thursday 25 June 2015

Day 4. Machecoul to Jard sur Mer. 93km

What a difference a decent nights sleep makes and a change of mindset.  
I'd had a decent meal in the hotel and was soon asleep once I climbed into bed and spread myself out between the crisp clean sheets.  
I slept soundly filled with paracetamol and ibuprofen to ease the pain. 
I woke at seven to another glorious morning.  After breakfast I had to make a minor adjustment to my front brake as it was rubbing quite badly and I'd not noticed before. 
I felt ok, my neck was stiff and I had a headache so I popped more pills.  But I was very relieved that I was not feeling awful. 
My bike had the whole function room to sleep in overnight. 
It was set to be a very hot day so I slapped loads of sunscreen on. 
I had to ride back into town and past the dreaded crash spot to get on the right road heading south.  Once again it was a day of long straight roads with slight undulations. 
I was not pushing hard and was simply taking in my surroundings of vineyards, wheat fields and the lovely aroma of summer blooms.  I had no idea how far I would go today and it didn't matter.  I was taking it one village at a time. 
I got to Touvois quicker that I thought I would.  I popped into a pharmacy for more painkillers and a patisserie for my lunchtime baguette. 
The sun was beating down and there was no shade.  
I had my usual chat with the cattle. 
I think they understand me now.  
I passed small villages and towns. 
As I rode along I caught up with a young handsome French cyclist.  His English was better than my French and we rode together to the next town.  We chatted all the way, he was testing out his bike for an around the world trip starting this August.  He had also toured Britain. He took me to a lovely park that he knew where he left me to have my lunch.  
I was glad of a bit of shade to rest in.  While I ate I considered my next move in terms of destination.  
I decided to head for the coast and just stop when I was tired. 
The farmers were hard at work, I imagine those cabs are air conditioned as it was super hot at this point and I stopped to put more sunscreen on. 

I stopped again in s small town for a cold coke and I was sweating pints! 

I still felt good though and knew at this point I'd make the coast tonight.  
I still took my time and enjoyed everything around me. 
I was thrilled to get to this seaside town and headed straight for the sea before looking for a campsite. 
It's a lovely seaside town with lots of little shops and cafes. 
Once at the campsite I put up my tent, showered and threw all my dirty clothes in the washing machine on site.  I made myself a baguette of tinned fish and loved it. 
I was more slick at putting the tent up this evening.  
Below is my route for today. 
Tomorrow I should get to La Rochelle in good time.  I plan on taking the coast route. 
Today has been fabulous despite my discomfort! 
The dryer ran out of money so I had to make a washing line. 
Then it was time to explore the beach front.
What a treat, the sun was setting on the beach and harbour.
I took loads of photos then settled at a little bar/cafe for wine and crepes. 
A good way to end the day. 











No comments:

Post a Comment