Saturday 4 July 2015

Friday 3rd July. Train to Arles

I went to the station early to make sure I could get a bike reservation on the train.  That wasn't a problem but when I handed my debit card over it was declined.  Mild panic set in but I had my credit card so used that.  No problem there.  When I returned to the hotel I used the wifi  and confirmed I still had funds in the bank.  I just hadn't informed them I was going to France.  All resolved with a few clicks on the app.  The wonders of modern life hey. 
I loaded my bike and cycled all 75 metres to the train station.  
Unfortunately you have to cross under the first line to get to any passenger platforms.  That means down a double set of steps and up a double set of steps.  
Not easy with a fully loaded bike . 

 Anyway you have to wait in the main terminus until the board tells you which platform your train will use as they change each day.  It's usually displayed 20 minutes before train arrival. 
While I'm waiting I see a very large lady start to struggle down the steps with her oversized suitcase.  She had to go down backwards very slowly.  It looked a struggle.  
I asked an elderly gent to watch my bike and went to the woman's aid.  I carried her case down and up to her platform.  She had trouble carrying herself.
As it happened she was American and also on the same train as me.  

Now it was my turn to get to the platform.  I spotted a young chap who looked likely to help.  I asked him and he did.  It was still bloody hard with two of us. 

Getting on the train was a major mission!
I had to lift it up and into a small space. 
It's quite annoying that there is no station assistance.  As I was struggling to get into the bike carriage a couple of teenagers stood right in my way.  I was losing the battle to get the bike on when a very kind lady lifted the back of the bike for me. 

The teenagers moved along and into the bike carriage.  It was just us three in there. I pushed my panniers into a corner  and tried to hang my bike up on the rack. 
I simply wasn't strong enough to do it and the pair of teenagers just watched me struggling as my shaking arms were trying to lift the bike enough to get the front wheel on the hook. 
I failed dismally and stood there holding my bike vertically when the conductor geezer came by.  He helped me out the bike up but I had to ask twice. 

Another conductor came by to check tickets.  I asked if I could get some help getting off the train at Arles.  I think he understood and nodded. 

It was baking hot!  No air con in the carriage. 

At the next stop a young lad got on with a BMX bike and hung his up next to mine. 

I slept on the train for a while, despite the seat not being very comfy. 

Before we arrived at Arles I began to worry about getting my bike down as I wasn't convinced the conductor was going to help. 

I asked the young lad to help me and he did. So my bike was down off the rack and my two panniers were off the bike. 

When my stop came I knew I wouldn't have much time to get off. 
But as it was the lad was a true gent.  As it stopped I put my bags on the platform and when I turned to go back for my bike, the lad was bringing it out for me. 
A credit to youth he is. 

The platform I was on meant I had to negotiate more steps.  One set down and another going back up to get out. 

The other passengers had left while I put the panniers back on the bike. 
I managed to push the bike down the steps but when it came to getting in up the other side I was beaten again. 

There was a luggage ramp alongside the steps. 

But I could not push my bike up that, I did try but just didn't have the strength. 

I left the bike at the bottom and went up to find help.  I found two guys working at the station and asked for assistance and they willingly obliged. 

Then I cycled into Arles and stopped to admire the Rhone before finding a lunch spot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment